Day 9 Bruges
-Leaving Paris was difficult, we had met so many wonderful people but Greg and I packed up and left for the train station.
-We decided to stop by a McDonalds to order an iconic Royal with Cheese, we kind of hate going to McDonalds while we are abroad but it is one of the few places that has free WIFI
-This was going to be our first time using our EURail passes
-We headed to Lille Flanders but missed our connection to Bruges.
-We waited around the station for an hour and finally got on the wrong train, but with a little help from a nice Belgian conductor we found our way to Bruges.
-Our first impression of Bruges is how quiet it is, but compared London and Paris most cities should seem quiet.
- We get situated at our hostel and decided to get beer at the bar
-Luckily we had a bar in our hostel
-All of the beers in Bruges are 6% and up so we drank two 8%
- Went downtown to a Bar that had over 300 beers, met some Belgian dudes who showed us around town
- Turns out the drinking age in Belgium is 16 so the bar scene is a little young here.
- Bruges is a sleepy town but there is a quirky part we got to see thanks to meeting some locals
Day 10 Bruges
-Had a little much to drink last night but totally worth it, today is going to be an easy day
-Greg and I walked around the town today and had a picnic in a random park
-This town is tiny, but its nice b/c it is easy to figure out how to get around
-NIJVERHEIDSSTRAAT yep that’s a street name here, most are actually just like this
-They have more horse drawn carriages in this town than cars.
-Greg and I of course had Belgian Waffles, they were excellent
-We grabbed a 6 pack of crappy beer called Jupiler and headed home
-Had dinner at a place I couldn’t pronounce
-Headed to bed before midnight, a first for this trip.
Day 11 Bruges
-Woke up early to take advantage of the free breakfast and headed into town
-Took some video and pictures and found a local brewery that did tours
- Our tour guide was a crazy Belgian guy that obviously learned English from an Scotsman
- Tried their 12% beer and yep it was strong
- Grabbed some craft brews and headed back to hostel where we met our new roommates
-J, a Canadian dude fresh out of the Army and a Swiss dude who I couldn’t pronounce his name so I just called him Swiss Miss.
-Took J on a bar crawl around Bruges looking for the infamous Emily (long story but ask me when I get back)
-Bruges was a blast, tomorrow we are heading to Amsterdam
:) i love the translator on my phone.
Day 6 Paris
- We just took the Chunnel from England to France, they put our bus in a train cars and sent us through. I felt very claustrophobic.
- The French country side was beautiful.
- Turns out our hostel is on the outskirts of Paris.
- After a 1 ½ hour walk towards the Bastille we end up see nothing.
- We end up spending way to much on beer at a sidewalk café.
- Greg and I are losing the accents we caught in London, but I am still saying cheers a lot.
- Cool thing about our Hostel is the fact they sell pitchers of beer for cheap
- Our hostel mate is a strung out old French dude who seems to be detoxing.
- Day 1 and Paris kink of sucks
Day 7 Paris
- Went on a walking tour and found out a lot about the history of Paris
- Turns out the Bastille was torn all the way down and a crappy statue stands in its place
- The tour group is amazing, we end up having lunch together. Hitesh, Bruna, Marina, and Thibault.
- Went on a crazy adventure to the Eiffel Tower.
- Took way to many pictures
- Saw the Arc de Triumph
- Drank a bottle of wine with Greg in front of the Eiffel Tower at night.
- Paris has completely redeemed itself.
Day 8 Paris
- Woke up early to go on a trip to the palace of Versailles.
- Met up with the group from yesterday on the tour.
- Our tour guide was the most perverse and adorable Aussie girl,
- Seriously the whole tour was full of dirty jokes and I loved it.
- I planted my first PBR cap of the trip in the fountain of Bacchus in the palace gardens. Winning!
- Purchased our tickets to Bruges
- Spent the rest of the day and night drinking at cafes and on the street heading to the Sacre Coeur ending up at the Eiffel Tower where Greg and I proposed to the Brazilian girls
- Paris was Amazing and 3 days was way to short.
- Heading to Bruges in the morning.
-The flight over here on Virgin Atlantic was outstanding. I will be flying them when ever I get a chance.
-Greg and I used the Underground for the first time. I bought the wrong tickets but we ended seeing Big Ben a whole day early thanks to me.
-We got lost walking around but a nice French girl showed us the way, we finally got on the right train and ended up at the hostel. But we were early.
-We couldn’t check in for the next couple hours so we ended up taking a nap in Regents Park.
-Met some Canadian dudes and went out and had a Pint of our first English Cask Ale. It was called London Glory and was SO GOOD.
-I ate fish and chips for the first time.
-First Day in London was a success.
- I woke up early so I went to a local grocery and bought some food to make lunch for Greg and I.
- I had breakfast with a old Irish dude named Norman and talked about traveling.
- Greg and I went on a walking tour around London and ran into Sarah Quirk.
- We had dinner with her, her friends, and the Canucks at the Green Man (a local pub we frequented often)
- We made a Pub Crawl out to Camden Town, got lost, drank more Cask Ale, and hit on English girls.
- Turns out there is at least one country where the American accent is adored.
- Day 2 in London, things just keep getting better.
- Greg and I keep on noticing peoples’ Doppelgangers. It is kind of cool to see people that look like our friends back at home. It makes us realize how diverse our country is.
- Greg and I went on 2 ½ hour walk around London. We saw the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, some weird building called the Temple, and St. Paul’s Cathedral.
- Went to the Green Man to get some footage for the video with our new favorite bartender Mark.
- Turns out the British hate Hipsters more than we do.
- Went on a bar crawl with the staff from the Green Man. The English know how to drink!
- We woke up early to see some of the Museums
- We ended at the British History Museum.
- I saw a ridiculous amount of art that I had only seen in history books.
- Had lunch in park, drank a pint, and feed a squirrel by hand, that we named George.
- Went on a Pub Crawl with a group of international kids.
-Turns out Canadians and Australians love us and we love them.
- Woke up from staying out late.
- Greg and I made it a chill day. He worked on the video and I wrote in my Journal.
- I picked up some postcards to make a collage when I get back.
- Had a late lunch and enjoyed it with an adorable Aussie girl.
- Ended up walking downtown with Greg and some Aussies.
- London looks amazing at night.
Je vous aime,
Bonjour ma fille belle, Greg et moi avons un temps magnifique à Paris. Nous avons rencontrer tellement de gens merveilleux et pas des prostituées. Nous avons été à traîner avec des filles du Brésil ces deux derniers jours. J’espère que tout va bien avec vous et James. -Casey
We are about to get a couple hours of sleep b/c its our last night in London. Then in 6 hours we are taking a bus to Paris.